Friday, May 2, 2008

Nice Hat

Today no fewer than 5 random people who I do not know (I work at a very large company) passed by me and blurted out, "Nice hat!" This was not surprising; I'm a hat kinda gal and I'm used to such comments. But why do so few people choose to wear them? For one thing, I am strongly of the opinion that there are very few outfits that can't be improved upon by the addition of a cute hat (scarves are next in line in order of preference; the two together are a particularly fabulous fashion coup). Not only that, but I work in one of the windiest spots in the Bay Area; a hat is the perfect means for not having your hair in shambles by the end of the day.


Today's hat is a lovely creation from Parkhurst, who makes a lot of wonderful retro styles. I do realize that this outfit looks a bit wintery, but I'd like to point out that in South San Francisco, where I work, the summers are often as cold, if not colder, than the winters. If you've ever been to San Francisco and thought it was a lot chillier than California ought to be, try visiting South San Francisco some time (Actually, don't. Just take my word for it. I wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining anyone's vacation.).

The rest of the outfit: Drape-neck tank by Michael Stars (do I need to explain again how wonderful these shirts are?), cardigan by Kersh, olive wool skirt from Noa Noa, shoes by John Fluevog.

When I came home this evening, I swapped everything but the shirt and cardigan for my evening walk with my dog, Georgie. I thought the new ensemble still held up as quite fashionable, at least for dog-walking wear. This hat is one I bought in Hamburg, Germany (I don't know who made it); the jeans are Lucky, the scarf is THRIFTED (for me this is a big deal), the shoes are Rieker, and the armwarmers I found at Sock Dreams.

Note all the layers: San Francisco is COLD when in most other places in the US it is WARM. This is how the locals can tell the tourists from everyone else: they're the ones wearing shorts in July.

Final note: Why does my dog always look so guilty?

No comments:

Post a Comment