Friday, February 13, 2009

Bin of Randomness

Today's outfit is made up mainly of thrift store finds from when Jess and I went seeking our 80's Night outfits. I dug this Max Studio dress out of a bin of randomness as I was seeking the mate to a vintage shoe, and lo and behold it was in perfect condition and my size! The pattern contains a red-orange color, so today I paired it with this orange sweater and added the teal skirt and jewelery for contrast. I spotted the Nanette Lepore (!) blazer strewn across the top of a rack of jackets in the plus-size section -- this is why it really pays to scour the entire thrift store, because there are always great things that are stuck in the wrong section.

At first I thought this jacket was a little too big, and was all set to have it taken in. But once I put it on with the drapey dress, I liked the way the slight bagginess and wide shoulders gave it a Depression-era feel, like it was a hand-me-down from a slightly curvier sister. I just love the tailoring in the back, which is always a huge selling point for me when I look for jackets.

It's hard to tell because of the resolution on these digital photos, but the jacket is black with a white grid pattern. Straight lines are one of those things where digital still just isn't as good as film.

Cowl-neck sweater: Tulle
Skirt: LA Made
Shoes: John Fluevog

No comments:

Post a Comment