Friday, November 7, 2008

Body on Tap

Looking at this outfit again I'm not really sure I like it. But no matter; what's important is that I tried something a little different. I'll leave it up to my readers to decide if this one was a winner or a loser. What I really wanted to talk about in this post was my hair.

This shiny, soft hairdo is brought to you by Anchor Steam Beer. What, you haven't heard of the old beer-in-your-hair trick? Allow me to explain. You know how after a party you wind up with all those forlorn, half-finished beers, the ones that someone opened and then abandoned because they couldn't remember where they set it or which one was theirs? Well, I'm here to tell you that there's a use for them. Flat beer is in fact a wonderful conditioner for your hair, and leaves it super soft and full of body.

I didn't throw a party, but a couple of months ago I bought several cases of Anchor Steam Beer in plastic bottles to take to Burning Man. The plastic bottles are great because they're lightweight and won't accidentally get broken, but they don't have the shelf life of beer in glass bottles. I cracked open one of my leftovers the other night and discovered that the beer was completely flat, so I decided to use it in my hair.

The best way is to completely soak your hair with the beer, then wrap plastic wrap around your hair and wait 20 or 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning like normal. If you don't have time for that, you can do what I did yesterday: rinse your hair in the shower, pour on the beer and let it sit for a few minutes, and then shampoo and condition. It's important to really shampoo thoroughly or you'll end up smelling like a brewery (Unless you happen to work at a brewery; then you wouldn't care. I verified this last night with my friend who actually does work at a brewery.). Then just style your hair like normal. The effects of the beer last several days, especially if you don't shampoo every day and only use conditioner instead.

The outfit:
Button-down shirt: Guess
Wrap cardigan: S
Cropped pants: Noa Noa
Tights: American Apparel
Shoes: Bronx
Brooch: Vintage

No comments:

Post a Comment