Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Extra Pretty

When it's dreary and rainy like today it's easy to feel gloomy, so it's days like this when I employ some of my simple little tricks for feeling extra pretty. There's nothing like feeling great about the way you look to combat the winter blahs -- or any kind of blahs, for that matter.

1. Stockings instead of pantyhose. It used to be that women preferred pantyhose because stockings needed a garter belt to stay up. That problem has been eliminated with the advent of stay-up stockings, so why not boost your sexy factor a little? No one knows they're there, but somehow you still feel like a vixen.

2. Perfumed hair. Your hair retains the scent of perfume better than anywhere else on your body, plus it feels so luxurious to spritz your coif. While you're at it, go ahead and indulge that fantasy about Johnny Depp nuzzling your neck and being intoxicated by your scented locks.

3. Groomed eyebrows. Nothing says femme fatale like sharply-defined, meticulously groomed eyebrows. Whether you choose to make them thin and arching or thick and straight, your eyebrows are what frame your eyes and add drama to your face. The Coveted recently did a great post with tips for creating the perfect brow. Eyebrows are one of those things that when they're changed, people will notice the difference although they won't be able to put their finger on exactly what you did. Just out of curiosity, how many people can correctly name the actress to the right? (By the way, clicking the photo will give it away.)

4. Jeweled hands. My hands are not one of my best features, so I tend to neglect them. But when I want to be pretty right down to my fingertips I pile on lots of shiny rings, à la Anna Karenina. I sometimes wear as many as 4 or 5 rings on each hand; it feels decadent even though many of my rings are just silver with semi-precious stones such as topaz or aquamarine. One product I really love for keeping my hands soft and young-looking is Age Correct by Sally Hansen.

5. A stylish handbag. It's no secret that I'm pretty lazy about swapping out my handbags. Let's face it, it's a pain, there isn't always time, and inevitably you forget to transfer something you end up needing. Most days I stick to one of my standard fallbacks, or else throw everything in my Timbuk 2 bag, which can also hold my laptop. But if I really need to have that finishing touch, I make the extra effort to pick out a stylish bag to complete my ensemble.

Today I used tricks #1, 2, and 3. What are your secrets for feeling extra pretty?

The outfit:
Hat: From a hat shop in Hamburg, Germany
Scarf: Promod
Long-sleeved top: A 'hand-me-up' from my younger sister
Green knit top: Forever 21
Obi belt: Sunhee Moon
Skirt: Old Navy
Boots: Art Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment