Friday, December 4, 2009

Dirndl

I was really surprised at the number of compliments I got on this outfit, because most of them came from people I'd consider to have fairly conservative taste in clothes. I would've thought the addition of this bondage-inspired harness belt would be a little over the top for many people, but hey, I guess you never know what sort of aesthetic people may secretly love but wouldn't necessarily wear themselves. At any rate, I loved how the harness worked so perfectly with the full skirted dress and soft tulle; in fact, to me it has sort of a dirndl feel to it when you look at the outfit from the front. It's only from the back that it looks a bit naughty.

For many months now I've been in search of an actual dirndl, by the way -- every time I'm down at Held Over on Haight Street I look and look, but all the really cute ones are never in my size (Held Over has an astounding number of dirndls for sale, as well as the little ruffled tops that go with them). But someday I will have a dirndl, I tell you. A dirndl and a charro suit. And maybe a fez. And perhaps I'll even wear them all at once, because if I don't, who will?

Dress: Red Dress Shoppe
Shirt: Michael Stars
Tulle skirt: Noa Noa
Harness: Audra Jean
Boots: from Scoop in Copenhagen

No comments:

Post a Comment