Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Drop Waist

This is what happens when I let my outfit posts get ridiculously out of order -- I end up with the same garment appearing within just a few days of the last time it showed up. The horror! Actually, it's okay, because perhaps this will prove to Mark's dad that I actually don't throw my clothes away after a single use. Though he's a brilliant astronomer, he is apparently completely bewildered by my wardrobe, since I appear to never wear the same thing twice. Harry, I assure you that neither does my closet defy the laws of physics, nor do I throw my clothes away after one wear. Behold, here's the same shirt I posted last week! But since you're a scientist and may require additional data before you're convinced, I submit for your consideration this further photographic evidence:


















I've worn this shirt many times, in fact, and in a number of different ways. It struck me while looking at these photos that it has yet to appear without something layered over it; this is really due to the shirt itself. Because of the long length and vertical stripes, it elongates my already long torso. And as I've mentioned many times before, I don't really like tucking shirts in. Thus, a contrasting layer on top lessens the impact of that long line of stripes and brings my body back into proportion without having to jam all that excess shirt length into my skirt or pants.




Today's featured outerwear is this brown drop waist wool coat that I bought in Venice several years ago. This coat is one of the few drop waist items I own, another being the tunic shown above. I find that it generally isn't a very flattering shape for my figure, managing to magically hide all my best features while simultaneously highlighting the worst ones. But I think with both these items it's the shaping, the asymmetry, and the dense, structured fabrics that make this hard-to-wear shape work.


Tunic: Promod
Shirt: Promod
Skirt: F21
Tights: MP
Shoes: Born
Coat: some shop in Venice

No comments:

Post a Comment