Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Restrained



This outfit features one of only two clothing items I bought down in Tulum during my Christmas holiday. I was a remarkably restrained shopper despite the abundance of really cute clothes in the shops; I think it was the fact that the heat made it not so fun to try things on. I found this asymmetric, layered halter dress in a shop called Shalom right on Tulum's main drag; it set me back about $75, which I thought was a great deal for such a unique piece. The dress is going to be perfect for the warmer months, but it works equally well layered up in this cozy winter look.

Because the dress drapes fairly low in the front and is sleeveless, I added the scarf to fill in the neckline, and the purple cardigan to keep my arms warm. I selected the bulky scarf and drapey cardigan in order to give the whole outfit a relaxed, organic feel. Adding a belt gave some definition to my waist, although I matched the belt to the dress so as not to disrupt the long flowing line of the outfit too much.

This outfit was pretty warm by itself, so for outerwear I wore my cropped black leather jacket to put an extra layer just over my arms. I thought I'd also include my handbag in the photo, since I went with the unexpected choice of my brown Lucky bag. I thought black would be too obvious, and a shade of brown with less red in it would've clashed. This bag is sort of cognac-colored though, so I thought it blended nicely with the warm purple and red tones while still adding an interesting color mix.

By the way, as soon as I figure out how to enable the sound on my camera, I'll shoot a video tutorial about this method of tying a long scarf, as well as another method that I've gotten questions about. Hopefully I'll have that for you by next week.

Scarf: H&M
Cardigan: S
Dress: Forla Paris
Belt: Urban Outfitters
Tights: MP, via Sock Dreams
Boots: Fly London
Jacket: Skin Graft
Handbag: Lucky Brand

No comments:

Post a Comment