Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bad Seed


I thought about the 1950's movie The Bad Seed all day while wearing this outfit. It was that movie that made me really long to get one of those wheeled cocktail carts, and to be the sort of hostess who rolls the cart out, complete with ice bucket and tongs, and whips up a mean Harvey Wallbanger or Sidecar. If you haven't seen the movie, I'd highly recommend it. Even today the subject matter is truly shocking, though the movie does get a bit overwrought at times (it was originally a play, and feels very much like a theater production even on the screen). But the performances are outstanding, and if you don't know anything about the movie, so much the better. Don't look it up because the plot spoilers abound; just go rent it.

But I digress. In the movie, Nancy Kelly plays a devoted housewife who in one scene rolls out the cocktail cart and starts serving the guests. Her outfits in the movie weren't really anything like this one (as I recall they were far more plain and utilitarian), but since this dress has a 50's feel to it, particularly with the apron, I started having my cocktail cart daydream again and thought of the movie.

Hat: from Alternative Design Studio
Dress: J. Crew
Apron: thrifted
Scarf, bangle: from a local import store
Shoes: Gabriella Rocha

No comments:

Post a Comment