Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wardrobe Tour, Part 2

The wardrobe tour begins in my largest closet, a walk-in that's about 4.5 feet wide by 10 feet deep. The closet has 2 doors, one in the entry hall and another that opens out into my main room. As you enter the closet from the hallway, you're looking down the length of it. When I moved in, there was just one shelf at the back of the closet, with a bar underneath to hang clothes. This is what it looks like now:

The first thing I did was to add a whole bunch of Cubitec shelving down the left hand side so that I could store all my folded items and keep them organized. The shelving is only 10" deep so it doesn't eat up a lot of floor space. More recently I added the over-the-door purse/hat hooks on the inside of the door to hang all my berets on. I also use them in tomorrow's featured closet for handbags. As you enter the closet this is what you see:

The little wooden shelves with green striped drawers are from Ikea; they hold hosiery in one drawer and tank tops in the other. It's a little bit of a stretch to reach them, but it's manageable.

On the right side of the closet is a set of wheeled drawers, which houses socks, tights, and then one drawer of miscellaneous things like bathing suits, gloves, and the like. One the wall above are a bunch of hooks for necklaces; this is a great way to keep them from getting all tangled up. Just beyond the necklaces are some wall-mounted racks for belts. The back of the second door has hooks for casual jackets, and as you look all the way to the right, there's yet another smaller set of drawers. This one has 2 small drawers for jewelry on top, and larger drawers for undies and bras below.

Now I'll show you the left wall as viewed from the other door.

As you can see, I've mounted a bunch of hooks on the wall for the hats that are bulkier than berets. The cubbies of the Cubitec shelving are sorted thus (starting from the topmost complete row of 3 cubbies): sleepwear and sweats, DVDs, cardigan sweaters, (next row) jeans, Mark's stuff, layering shirts for work, (next row) pullover sweaters, Mark's stuff (See how nice I am? I gave him 2 whole cubbies!), and weekend t-shirts. This shelving can be configured in any number of ways for whatever space you're working with.

The rest of the wall contains a rack for scarves (which really needs to be organized), and a shelf for my casual and frequently-worn shoes. Yep, there are even a few pairs of flip flops in there. Finally, I'll show off the most recent improvement to my closet, the switching of all my hangers over to the flocked, slimline type. I was truly amazed at what a tremendous difference these made.

Did you notice that this closet doesn't contain any dress pants, dresses, or skirts? That's because they're in the closet across the hall from this one, which I will show you tomorrow. That closet also contains the rest of my massive shoe collection. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment