Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Corsets for Nerds

Well, I told you I was going to do it: I wore a corset to work. And nobody even noticed. Actually I did wear it with the jacket on all day, which at least partially explains the lack of comment or inquiry, but I still maintain that nothing I wear fazes my coworkers anymore.

I was a bit concerned with how comfortable it would be to wear a corset for a full day at work, but I was pleasantly surprised. By the end of the day I was definitely ready to take it off, but on the whole it really wasn't any less comfortable than any other form-fitting outfit I've worn. I've included some photos of what the outfit looked like without the jacket; I actually liked it a lot better that way, but felt it was a little much to show the entire corset at work. However, I would certainly wear it this way to a non-work event. The mixture of black and brown makes this corset very versatile, and because it's not a shiny silk fabric, I can easily dress it down. From a purely utilitarian perspective, the brass D-rings were a perfect attachment point for my security access badge. Perhaps the company who made it should be called Corsets for Nerds.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are thinking, "I could never wear a corset at all, let alone at work all day." But I feel like I need to sing their praises a little, because just look at what this one did for my figure! A tiny waist, a flat stomach, and an accentuated bust and hips, all accomplished with one little garment! And honestly, you really do get used to it once you've had it on for awhile. I've also heard tell that the more you wear a corset the more natural it feels, which is a theory I will certainly test myself, now that I've gotten over the hurdle of wearing one out for a day. There are plenty of online resources for how to shop for and wear a corset, but I feel like I should share my own advice as well.

Audi's Tips for Successful Corset-Wearing:

Invest in a good corset. Those cheap-o ones that don't have metal stays and busks really aren't worth it. They double over when you bend at the waist and don't accomplish anything other than making you uncomfortable. A good corset requires a lot of time and materials to produce, and is worth the money. Expect to pay at least $200 for even the most basic model.

Don't half-ass it; lace that sucker up as tight as it goes. Corsets are designed to hold the body in place via their metal stays, so the bigger the gap you leave in the laces, the more you'll spread those back stays apart and prevent the corset from doing its job. This can actually lead to pain, so make sure you've laced the corset properly.

Your corset gently requests that you maintain good posture and keep your midsection tight; don't make it have to get nasty. In other words, don't fight against the corset, but rather adjust yourself into the position it's trying to get you to adopt. A straight back and sucked in stomach will be the most comfortable position, so try to maintain that. You can actually relax into the corset and let it guide the way you sit and stand, but make sure you don't relax so much that you counteract what it's designed to do.

Breathe "upwards." That's the only way I can describe it. With a corset on you have no stretch around your chest; this is particularly true of the over-bust styles. So rather than swelling your chest and abdomen when you breathe in and out, you need to lift your ribcage and bust. Try doing this without a corset on, and you'll find that right away your posture improves and your stomach stays nice and tight. Think about having a corset on as a constant reminder, and you can imagine the benefit that comes from wearing one. Good posture looks great anyway, but good posture combined with a tiny waist and flat stomach looks even better.

So what about all of you? Do you own a corset? Would you ever consider wearing one?

Jacket: Victoria M. Ortiz
Necklace: Rapsodia
Top: Noa Noa
Corset: Xcentricities
Skirt: All Saints
Shoes: John Fluevog

No comments:

Post a Comment