Thursday, November 26, 2009

It's Thanksgiving...

...and today I am thankful for: MONKS.


Actually I'm thankful for Mark, who reminded me of all the reasons I should be thankful for monks, but then I'm thankful for Mark every day, so we'll give this one to the Benedictines, Trappists, Dominicans, Carthusians, and all the rest.

Now I realize that this is a style blog, and as far as I know the monks have done jack shit for style over the centuries, but what you may not know about me is that I'm also a big cocktail aficionado, a longtime homebrewer, and somewhat of a foodie. And because of this, I'm spending today thinking about these monk-tastic contributions to civilization:
























And just for good measure, I'll even imagine that the monks were out on the town, wearing far more stylish ensembles than these when they first hit upon their brilliant culinary and, er, booziary(?) ideas, and that the robes were really just designed for ease of movement when you're rolling those giant kegs around the monastery.

Thanks, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment