Thursday, November 5, 2009

Layering Required

I have no idea why, but I've had "My Kinda Lover" by Billy Squier stuck in my head ALL DAY. Oh brain, why must you torture me so?

I bought this dress from the Forever 21 site awhile back, and knew when I did that it would be challenging to wear and would require layering. And I was right; I simply cannot wear clingy knit dresses as dresses because they are unflattering in every way. However, the basic shape of this one, with the tapered ruffles down the sides, is quite good as a tunic. The elastic belt came with the dress, and I like the way it sneaks through under the ruffles and looks like it just appears out of nowhere.

In order to prevent the dress from accentuating every lump and bump, I scrunched up the bottom part over a simple black A-line skirt. The tie-neck top is another way of breaking up the larger expanses of flat knit fabric. This takes away the clingy appearance and allows all the emphasis to be on the pretty ruffled accents. I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can do with this dress.



Top: La Redoute
Dress: F21
Skirt: a 'hand-me-up' from my sister
Boots: Fly London

No comments:

Post a Comment