Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Deadwood

This is the Deadwood Altair dress, one of the new items I received recently from All Saints (ordered from the UK site, for reasons I covered in this post). I stalked it for several months, and now I'm very relieved that it didn't sell out in my size before I finally broke down and ordered it. I just love the shaping of the dress, particularly the faux hourglass it creates in the back. Though it looks a little flannel-y in the photos, the dress is actually made of a soft, smooth cotton. Like the other All Saints items I own, the quality and fit are excellent.

This dress has loads of layering potential, both buttoned and partially unbuttoned, so I'm looking forward to experimenting with other combinations. I could see pairing it with rich reds as a way to brighten up the winter months, or combining it with a lacy or ruffled top for an interesting mix of rugged and feminine.

I think I was initially a bit sheepish about ordering this dress simply because I worried that my attraction to it was mostly based on the name: Mark and I are now working our way through all the episodes of the wonderful HBO series Deadwood, and I'm totally hooked. But after scrutinizing the photos many times online, I decided that although the name is certainly appealing, this dress has plenty of merits that would entice me even if it were called the BJ and the Bear Dress.

Incidentally, my favorite costumes in the show look nothing like my All Saints dress; they're the ones worn by Alma Garrett (Molly Parker). Somehow I think my dress is just a little more practical for office wear than any of these, but I'd love to wear something like this just once:

















Shirt: H&M
Dress: All Saints
Tights: MP
Boots: vintage Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment