Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wedding Wear

I wore this dress to a wedding last weekend; I wish I would've gotten a photo of Mark's outfit as well, but we got ready at each of our respective apartments and then when we were at the wedding I just forgot. I did manage to get a headshot of him wearing the bowler I made, though. He's so dapper! We definitely got a lot of attention because of the hats; I can't tell you how many people commented on them. It still amazes me that wearing a hat is such a novelty.

This dress was custom made for me a couple of years ago by Revamp Vintage, who create gorgeous vintage reproductions. I actually had it made specifically to wear to the San Francisco Film Noir Festival, which I attend every year with Laura. It's really more of a day dress though, so it worked really well for an afternoon outdoor wedding.

The wedding was a welcome opportunity to wear this sorely underutilized dress. Quite honestly, it's not cut out for wearing to work because it's made of silk and has ZERO stretch, so after long hours of sitting and possibly a big lunch, it has the potential to get mighty uncomfortable. Thus, this one is reserved for a few hours' wear at special occasions, which is fine because its classic styling means that I can wear it for many years to come. Paired with these retro-styled mary janes, my grandmother's pearls, and a hat based on the ones Judi Dench wore in Mrs. Henderson Presents, this look is spot on 1940's -- if you can overlook the tattoos, Monroe piercing, and magenta hair, that is.

Hats: Audra Jean
Pearls: vintage
Dress: ReVamp Vintage
Shoes: Sofft

No comments:

Post a Comment